Tile Adhesive costs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Why is there such a wide range of price for tile adhesive?

I'm laying some Porcelain floor tiles and the mrs spotted the ones she wanted in Topps. price was ok so I ordered them.

What shocked me was £54 a bag for white flexable rapid 20kg bags by BAL.

Wickes own brand is £17. Unibond in B&Q is £23!! All say white flexable rapid set, suitable for Porcelain.

Is there really that much difference??

Is the BAL really worth 3 times the price? What makes it better? Easier to lay? Easier to mix? Less problems? What , I don't get it?

I've only got 14m to do.

Sponsored Links
What sort of floor do you have?

Some use Wickes but you won’t find any pro’s using the other one, it’s not held in very high regard. I believe B&Q trade also stock Webber products which have a good name.

Is the BAL really worth 3 times the price? What makes it better? Easier to lay? Easier to mix? Less problems? What , I don't get it?

It’s all about quality; you tend to get what you pay for with this stuff & IMO it is worth the extra & far cheaper than a tile failure but you have to beat Topps down as they are notoriously expensive retail. I only use BAL but there are others that individual pro’s swear by.

it aint cheap mate,unless your in the trade.

you could try...mapei/weber..you will get these slighty cheaper than the bal.
as rich has said you will get these in bq,but not at the trade counter,unless ..again your in the trade.

Maybe brain cells are failing me as a result of too much Spanish sun but it could be Mapei & not Weber that’s available at B&Q trade outlets, I can’t remember :confused: I don’t generally buy tiling products there but do find B&Q to be very competitive on plaster/cement stock; it’s all dry/well stored & their turn over is massive so you can more or less guarantee you won’t get any problems with rapid setting of “off stock”. I don’t use anyone else for this stuff now.

You don’t have to be registered as “trade” to get trade outlet stock/prices, you just won’t get the monthly freebies & account credits they offer.

Sponsored Links
What sort of floor do you have?

Some use Wickes but you won’t find any pro’s using the other one, it’s not held in very high regard. I believe B&Q trade also stock Webber products which have a good name.

It’s all about quality; you tend to get what you pay for with this stuff & IMO it is worth the extra & far cheaper than a tile failure but you have to beat Topps down as they are notoriously expensive retail. I only use BAL but there are others that individual pro’s swear by.

Its a screed floor (with fibres) laid about 12 weeks ago. I've laid warm up boards and an electric mat over them. Its a conservatory but its got walls on both sides, so never gets hot. Only gets the sun about an hour or two a day maybe.

I haven't laid the tiles yet. I was going to do it tomorrow. Will the Wickes stuff be ok do you reckon? Or is it too big a risk?

If I was gonna try to haggle Topps down?? How far do you reckon I could push for ? The list price is £54 a bag!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back