Tile Adhesive Removal or Re-Skim?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi to all first post apapologizeut didn't know if this should go in tiling or flooring.

My wife got over zealous during the Christmas Sales and bought herself a new kitchen. I have been tasked with removing existing ceramic floor tiles to lay a new ceramic floor. Now the new tiled area is going to be bigger than the existing (extending into extension) and I have also noticed that there is a slight slope where the builders new flooring is slightly lower than the existing.

I have also trawled this site looking for answers on Tile Adhesive removal and have read that once it is down and set its set and only really a chisel will remove it.

My question is do I spend a good few hours chiselling the old adhesive off the floor or would it be quicker to remove high spots of adhesive and then use a levelling compound beings as the finished floors are slightly offset and then apply new tiles on top of that?

If levelling is the preferred method I assume that the time it takes to dry depends on how deep the layer is? Asking as I have small child and cat and no physical way of blocking off the area.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back