tile grout turned brown

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a shower wall tiled with plain white tiles and white grout. The grout round one tile in the middle of the wall has turned brown, all four sides. Its a false wall, presumably plasterboard. Any ideas please? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Can you expand a bit?

Did you do the tiling?
Are you sure it's a plasterboard wall or could it be something else? Look under the shower tray if you can gain access.
Does the tile look like it has been replaced at some time or is it probably one of the original tiles?
Have you tried scraping the grout out?
Have you tried cleaning the grout. If so, what happened?

No I did not do the tiling but all the other walls that are not solid seem to be plasterboard. So far I have only tried ordinary shower cleaner but the next step will have to be to dig the grout out. It doesn't look like the tile has been replaced and the grout looks exactly the same as the rest of the wall, except that its gone brown!

Possible youve got something nasty going on behind; is it anywhere near the mixer valve, shower head or possible concealed pipework etc

Sponsored Links
I reckon the best thing to do is to just dig it out and have a look. It's probably the best thing to do all round.

Let us know what it is..........I love a good mystery.

something nasty is the first thing i thought of. Its nowhere near pipes or anything. So today I will start digging.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back