Tile on tile. Again

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our en-suite bathroom has got underfloor electric heating and ceramic or porcelain tiles on top. Been down about ten years and "we've" decided that we want new tiles on the floor.

I know REALLY to do a proper job that I should take the old tiles up but if I do that the chances are I'm going to damage the electric u/f heating cable and it'll end up a) a bigger job and b) a lot more expensive.

So the Q is, will it be OK to tile on top of the existing tiles. And what, if any, difference will there be in the performance of the u/f heating? Oh and if it's relevant, the sub floor is chipboard flooring on top of the rafters.

Any recommendations as to tile cement or tips or things that need to be done like scratching the tiles with an angle grinder for a good key etc?

Sponsored Links
if you go ahead dont bother scratching the tiles or anything. just clean them with sugar soap and use a flexi bagged adhesive.

however, you will definitely impede the performance of your UFH, and if its 10 yrs old its probably quite inefficient anyway. for my money take it up and replace the lot, you'll save a lot on running costs.....and replace the chip with ply while your at it

I doubt it will affect the heating to a massive degree. The heat has to go somewhere - and upward through conductive tiles is the most likely. It will leave a lip to get into the bathroom , mind. If you are thinking of gutting the entire room well fine - but otherwise just do what you suggest.

joe-90, i get your point but it will affect warm up times. put simply its got to work harder

Sponsored Links
Thanks chaps so your expert advice is take up the tiles and junk the u/f heating cable matrix. Remove the existing chipboard flooring and replace with ply? All so it doesn't take quite so long to heat up? And bearing in mind we only occasionally use the u/f anyway maybe, just maybe a bit of overkill.

So I'll just tile on tile.

So thanks all, seems like it should be OK.

Yes, mate. They always talk rubbish in here.

Thanks chaps so your expert advice is take up the tiles and junk the u/f heating cable matrix. Remove the existing chipboard flooring and replace with ply? All so it doesn't take quite so long to heat up? And bearing in mind we only occasionally use the u/f anyway maybe, just maybe a bit of overkill.
No need for the sarc, we get enough of that from some people already :rolleyes:

You got your answer with the first line of TPT’s post but tile on tile is a complete bodge & if it’s over chip, I’m surprised it’s lasted as long as it has. I pity the poor soul who comes along after you & has to take the lot up but that may happen sooner than you think.

you already know the answer - you answered it in your own question. it will affect the heating time of the UFH and you have to weigh up that, and the efficiency of the old system against the hassle of ripping up etc - i just told you what you already know and are now choosing to ignore.

Op
In your first post you say...chipboard ontop off ...rafters....

....where is your ensuite located?????

Rafter to me...is its in your ...loft..(conversation)..if so then don't think the ...rafters ...will take the additional weight....

Thanks everyone for your comments and to tictic, bad choice of words on my part, it's a normal first floor bathroom and I should have used the word "joist" instead of "rafter". Standard 80's construction though the internal walls are a bit odd in that they're a less dense type of OSB board plastered on top. Not dry lined, plastered. Makes fixing stuff to the walls a challenge.

But back to my original question, I've decided to make life easy for myself and still retain the seldom used heating, to just tile on the existing tiles once I change the bath for a walk in shower. And to give you an idea how often we use it, we switched in on for two days last year and not at all this year.

The new bathroom's not going to be this week, but I know what I'm doing now. Thanks for your advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back