Tile positioning

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've read several How To... guides on wall tiling but there seems to be more than one way to position the tiles on a wall.

Is it best to tile from the centre of the wall out to both edges so that if the tiles either side need to be cut down, they are both the same width?

Or is it best to start with a full tile and ensure that the cut tile is in the corner of the wall? I've seen both pieces of advice. Which is preferrable?

Thanks
Jack D

Sponsored Links
Find the centre of the wall and mark it. Then either start tiling from that point or set a tile right on the mark (so the mid point of the tile is on the mark). Either way is acceptable, but one way will leave you a bigger tile at each end. You'll have to walk a couple of tiles hand over hand along the wall to see which method will leave you with the bigger piece.

Good Luck,

p.s. This thread would have been better placed in the "Decorating, painting and wall tiling" section.

Hi

Thanks for that. And for the suggestion about where to post. I didn't clock decorating.

Jack D

Sponsored Links
Jack D
use a marker batten , mark the width of the tile with spacers , then at the centre line , use this as measure , make sure you get your wifes approval at wether she wants a full tile at end or half cut , as I find once you start they have a change of mind/opinion ...not being sexist but realistic ..;) once up an running its hard to change your mind , an dont leave any slithers of tiles any end ..:)
hope this helps

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back