Tile purchase

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just finished ne wkitchen install, now need tiles for floor. Have 23 sq meters so trying to keep cost down.. any advice n where to shop ? online or other wise, also anywhere i should avoid.??

ta J

Sponsored Links
Are you laying on conrete, or wood, or another surface? Do you want a light or dark tile? Small or large sized tile? Natural stone? Porcelain? Or quarry tile? Getting and laying the "wrong" tiles will be far more costly than spending a bit of time and money on finishing what is an important room in your house and having do e all the hard work you don't want to have this point go wrong!
I would suggest that you visit a couple of your local tile suppliers who can give you advice on what type of tile will suit your needs and the finish you are looking for. They can offer guidance on non slip or easy clean finishes etc and you will have someone local to go to if there are any problems. (Unlikesome internet purchases!) They may have offers or deals on that will help keep the price down and may be able to suggest local tilers who can do the tile fitting for you, that is if you need help laying the tiles. Hope all goes well

23 meters across kitchen/diner laying onto floor screed that is fairly level but may need some prep with high/low spots and ensure correct adjustment is made. Tiles opted for will be porcelain 600 x 600 i would think.

Been to pretty much every tile store locally, and finally decided with her indoors on porcelain matt finish in light grey. As I thought price is varies, sales staff at tile giant didnt know what a screeded floor was. Depending on the topps tiles branch , I was advised to prime floor first in one, to reduce screed dust, but not in other. One suggested single part flex, the other suggested tile and stone pourable (discontinued by BAL) to avoid hollows in centre of tile. These areas and a previous bad experience with topps is the reason i am on here asking for advice on who/where to trust for solid advice.. Seeing as we have defined tile type area and floor substrate any advice would be appreciated.. Does anyone have experience with tile mountain on-line as looking for on-line sale also. Many thanks J

Sponsored Links
Tile mountain are good imo, bought quite a bit from there apart from the chrome trims cos they're poor quality. Otherwise I've had no trouble and also they've never refused any samples I've ordered and I've probably ordered north of 50 samples at a guess. Only thing I would say with anything on the Internet check the tiles when they arrive, they have no problems replacing straight away (usually send in pictures and they send a new box) but if you leave it a week or two (waiting for tiler) I doubt they will replace them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back