tile removal nightmare!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone advise?!
I have started removing tiles from an old bathroom. I have no idea what was used to stick them with but it seems like concrete! No matter what I do the tiles break into tiny pieces which only come off with quantities of the plaster. And every tile is a battle! The bond of tile to plaster seems at least as strong a the bond of plaster to brick!
Am I doing something wrong? Has anyone else encountered this? And is there a solution or technique to address the problem?

Sponsored Links
If it's a really old bathroom and the tiles protrude a half inch from the wall then it could be sand/cement. Often like concrete. Only real way is to use a SDS drill with roto stop - hammer only, and expect to go back to the bricks. PPE protection is a must - tiles are like shards of glass !

So the reason it seems like concrete....!!

Thanks for your help.

I suppose it is some consolation knowing it isn't my imagination. :)

And if I have to go back to the bricks do I replaster before re-tiling?

I have a room like this that needs doing, not looking forward to it!

Sponsored Links
And if I have to go back to the bricks do I replaster before re-tiling?
It will need building up - possibly with sand/cement render, rather than a lightweight backing plaster - it doesn't need a skim finish, maybe ask the plastering forum. Because it's just my opinion re: render, and it could be a DIY job. You're aiming for a straight surface that the adhesive to grip to. So don't take me as Gospel;) Others with more experience may contribute. Good luck.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back