Tiling onto browning - Technical

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Of all the different aspects of Trade and DIY. Tiling seems to be the one with the most disagreement.

I know that it is generally not considered good practice to tile onto browning (base coat plaster) . However, I have done this in a couple of dry rooms in places (kitchen and toilet) without any ill effect, even after 5 years.

The reasons I've heard for not doing this is that the bond between browning and tile adheasive is too weak.

Does anyone know the reason that the bond between skim (finishing coat plaster) and browning would be stronger than the bond between adheasive and browning?

If the skim was distributing a point load, then I could understand the mechanical advantage. However, the tile loads are already distributed over the surface.

I did do a test where I stuck one tile to browning, one to mist coated browning, one to skim and another to mist coated skim.

In all situations, they required a good amount of effort to remove (I only applied adheasive to half the tile so I could lever it off). The tile onto raw skim WAS the strongest, but in all cases, the tile pulled off some plaster particles, which means that the adheasive was sticking to the plaster and it was the plaster that failed, not the bond with the adheasive.

So, while the skim offers the BEST option, what reasons are there that would make browning UNSUITABLE rather than GOOD ENOUGH, especially in a wet area?

Cheers,
Fubar.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back