Tiling on Bonding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello.

I have seen many forums on tiling onto bonding plaster and most say to put a skim finish over the top.

Can someone please explain why one shouldn't tile to bonding.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Can't answer your question as such, but i have tiled over bonding plaster with no problems whatsoever.

its because its gypsum based and this reacts with cement based\ready mixed adhesives. 2 good neat coats of acrylic bonding agent over the bonding coat would solve your problem with most adhesives but some manufacturers state different guidelines so make sure you check the spec sheet on the one you buy.

Thanks TPT.

I have purchased a tub of Ardex D20. It states in the spiel on the tub that it can be applied to gypsum. Should I still apply a primer?

Sponsored Links
Just for the record....tiling onto bonding is a big no..no..

Not strong enough to take weights off tiles,absorbent....sucks the life out off adhesives....

So if you can.....
Use a skim,but again weight issues,drying times ect.....

Or just skimming a wall that's not to bad...(within reason)...either use a QSR ...quick set render...or skimm over with a flexy adhesive....

Again onto bonding plaster is a NO...

tictic, i'm going to have to hang my head in shame here a bit.

i'd had it clarified before for a site we had dealt with about 6 months who had patched a bad wall using bonding. the advice from the tech line was as i posted above. i've just pushed them on it and the key bit was because it was patched, not a large area\full wall.

For a large area\full wall, your dead right, and i'll apologise to the OP now!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back