Tile roof - sealing the space between tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have flat tile roof thats about 33 years old which had couple of minor leaks at the begining of the year and I sealed the spaces between the tiles with OSI QUAD formula sealant (flexible) and I it worked fine. Now there is another leak and I actually plan to seal the whole roof but want to know if there another better product before I start. I stopped by Lowes there day and one the guy told me to use Quikrete Polyurethane Sealant self-leveling (flexible as well).

Can anyone comment on whats the best product available for this job ?

I am aware of the silicon roof coating, but its little expensive at the moment considering my financial position.

roof1.jpg

roof2.jpg

roof3.jpg

roof4.jpg

Sponsored Links
Tbh you shouldn't really seal tiles up. If you have a leak it will either be a cracked tile or water getting into the ride at the top. With those kind of tiles you should be able to sopt a crack quite easily.

Like I mentioned, the roof is old and it's due for a replacement. The weather here is hot all year long and I believe the tar sheets underneath are brittle which crack when there is a rainstorm. This only a temp solution till I get the roof replaced which could be 2 years.

you have stonewolds on your roof,could be mini stonwolds
they are very thick concrete tiles and have loads of life in them
they are usualy used on low pitched roofs ,but a problem you will get is debri gets in the chanels or joins and builds up cuasing water ingress
although your leek is caused by dodgy old felt
a long term solution is is strip of the tiles renew the felt and put the tiles back

Sponsored Links
Had to do one like this myself,the pitch was too low,under 15 degree i reccon,this looks a bit the same.
Took the whole lot off and screwed 9mm ply to the rafters.Then breathable felt tacked to the ply,counter battened and more felt and batten.

I found i had to walk around the roof on twinkle toes,the tiles have no strength when they are laid this flat.Had to replace dozens of them.

Thinking about it i think a roof like this would be better done in felt shingles.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back