Tile size/pattern for tiny space?

IM

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a tiny (780 x 960) under-the-stairs loo, which I've stripped out and re-boarded (believe it or not it was smaller before).

I'm trying to figure out the best way to tile, and a major consideration is the practicalities of the size of tile to buy, and how to lay them out.

On the floor if I could buy a single mega-tile, and trim to fit, I'd go for that. Realistically though, I'm looking at say 300 x 300 or 400 x 400.

In such a small space, I'm concerned that they will look 'odd' when laid.

For this reason, I'm thinking black granite with black grout, so that as far as possible it appears as one. But even so, how best to lay out? Two full 300 tiles centrally, with cuts either side?

Similarly, on the walls, all the tiles I like seem to be big (for the space) e.g. 400 x 300. My gut feel is that I should go for something smaller like a 100 x 100.

On the one hand, I want to visually maximise what little space there is. On the other, I don't want a wall of 2½ tiles wide.

Any thoughts, observations, experiences very gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
With floor tiles 30x30, position the centre of a whole tile in the centre of your 780mm dimension, so you would have one whole tile in the middle and two 240 cuts on both sides. Read the sticky on the top of the tiling forum, it is explained there.

For my downstairs toilet I bought 30x30 tiles but each tile looks like several smaller tiles put together. I can post a picture if you want.

About the walls - to what height do you want to tile them? 10x10 can look too busy IMHO. Have you considered painting instead of tiling?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back