Spacing problem on travertine tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the middle of tiling and i'm having second thoughts with the layout. I've layed 200mm x200mm tiles then a border then I was going to finish it off with a row of 100mm x 100mm tiles.

Problem is the smaller tiles are 101mm which throws the spacing out, the large tile I used 4mm spacers and I was going to use 1.5 or 2mm spacers for the smaller tiles due to there being more gaps, now the most gap you can have between the small tiles is the width of a piece of card before the tiles would jut out over the others. I've put photo's up below.

Do you think it will look ok with the small gap, the tiles have rough edges so they would still have grout in the gaps, but the grout would probably have to come up flush with the tiles.

I don't really know what to do, the tiles will be behind the new sink and the top of the sink will be half way up the top row of large tiles. Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
As your tiles have a riven edge and surface rather than a smooth one, use pieces of cardboard for spacers and slightly more grout on the smaller tile and you'll not notice anything untoward at all. The result will look just fine. John :)

Thanks for the reassurance John, i've stuck them up now and will grout them later in the week. :D
First time i've ever tiled so I was a bit nervous.

looking at your tiles on a bigger pic, they look absolutely fine, just remember to get your grout nice and level with the face of the tiles,so there are no hollows and it will look mint
Oh, and dont forget to seal them

Sponsored Links
I sealed them about 6 months ago, when I also did the ones for the shower, do you think I need to seal them again, they have just been sat in a box, before I grout or should I just do it after grouting?

clean as you go then seal again after grouting. :)
looks good ladym ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back