Tile spacing and trowel size?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm laying slate on floor and the walls in a shower cubicle. They are 300mm square tiles. I know the tile spacing should be 5mm on the floor, shall I keep it the same on the walls? or go for 3mm? The tiles on the floor and wall won't meet at any point.

ta.

And.... I have a trowel that I used for laying travertine previously. I assume this is fine for laying the floor tiles. Is it ok for putting the slate on the walls as well, or do I need a shallower trowel?

Sponsored Links
Depends on how uneven the slate is, I've used 10-12mm on several slate floors to avoid a "step" where the tiles meet.

Notch size will also be determined by the same factor At the least you will need a "thick bed/solid bed trowel) type with half round 20mm notches for both.

Jason

Thanks.... again!

They will be different thicknesses as the tiles are not calibrated. My thinking was sorting them prior to laying and try as best as possible to lay the thicker ones on the floor and the thinner ones on the walls.

As long as it is ok to use 5mm on the walls I think I will go for this. I was just checking that this is acceptable spacing for wall tiles. And the trowel I have is a thickbed with half round notches - so I will use this for both.

I have gone for grey grout - good idea?

Chris

I used grey grout on my slate tiles in the kitchen and hallway. I had some spare tiles so I used them as inserts in a fireplace, both the face and the hearth.

The fireplace I grouted with Mapei Anthricite and I have to say I wished I had used it for the floor. It looks much better.

Sponsored Links
what's the colour difference? Which is darker? I have already ordered the grey grout, but I guess it is pretty important!

I've managed to swap one bag of grey grout for one of anthracite mapei, so will try both on some offcuts and see which I like best.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back