Tile up to coving

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are revamping a toilet/cloakroom which we will fully tile. There is existing coving, which we would rather not remove. The tiles are abt 10/11 mm thick and the edge of the coving is about 11/12mm deep.

I am intending to ask the tiler to leave a 3mm gap between tile and coving and "push the top tiles well in to the adhesive" at the top; then to grout in between.

Probably not perfect but should give a reasonable finish, or am I missing something? Is this a reasonable request of the tiler?

Sponsored Links
We are revamping a toilet/cloakroom which we will fully tile. There is existing coving, which we would rather not remove. The tiles are abt 10/11 mm thick and the edge of the coving is about 11/12mm deep.

I am intending to ask the tiler to leave a 3mm gap between tile and coving and "push the top tiles well in to the adhesive" at the top; then to grout in between.

Probably not perfect but should give a reasonable finish, or am I missing something? Is this a reasonable request of the tiler?

why not just ask your tiler to chamfer the edges of the tiles so they blend into the coving, I am assuming your coving is white and you will be using white grout, will blend in well, rather then having a step back from the edge of the tile back to the coving, will look 100% neater to

jctilingservices - chamfer the edges of the tiles

Many thanks for your reply. Much appreciated. Your idea sounds good, but if you will excuse my ignorance, does this mean you file down the top back of the tile so that it is thinner? Or do you file the front edge?

Kind regards

Jim

Sponsored Links
jctilingservices - chamfer the edges of the tiles

Many thanks for your reply. Much appreciated. Your idea sounds good, but if you will excuse my ignorance, does this mean you file down the top back of the tile so that it is thinner? Or do you file the front edge?

Kind regards

Jim

your tiler will cut the tile to fit upto the coving, i.e mitre from the back of the tile to the front, thereby giving you a slope in the back edge of the tile, so the tile marries up to the coving all nice and tidy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back