Tiled roof of garage butting to EPDM flat roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking for advice on how to do the above. The existing garage roof is 35 deg concrete tiled butting on to flat roof of new dormer, how to seal?
Thanks Murdo

Sponsored Links
Remove bottom row of tiles, fit OSB over lats, glue wide EPDM strip to OSB, overlapping onto the flat EPDM roof. Bring existing roofing felt, if any, over the EPDM. Replace tiles. Join EPDM overlap with seam tape.

DIYer, not roofer, but I have done this.

By the way, you might get more responses in the roofing forum. I'll ask if your post can be moved.

Cheers
Richard

Thanks Richard, probably the way I,d have done it. Lats I presume are the existing roof joists?
Murdo

Thanks Richard, probably the way I,d have done it. Lats I presume are the existing roof joists?
Murdo
I meant the lats on which the tiles are hung. But in fact you're right - assuming your final roofing lat is at the top of the lowest row of tiles, you'll be fixing to the rafters, butting up to the lat.

Sponsored Links
I meant the lats on which the tiles are hung. But in fact you're right - assuming your final roofing lat is at the top of the lowest row of tiles, you'll be fixing to the rafters, butting up to the lat.

Do you tend to mitre the edge of the osb so that you don't create a step in the felt where water might pool?

Do you tend to mitre the edge of the osb so that you don't create a step in the felt where water might pool?
If the OSB strip lands on (and is fixed to) the flat roof, there is no point lower than the flat roof surface, for water to pool in. If you were bothered you could run a bead of mastic.

If the OSB strip lands on (and is fixed to) the flat roof, there is no point lower than the flat roof surface, for water to pool in. If you were bothered you could run a bead of mastic.

I mean at the top of your OSB, assuming you've slid it under the existing roofing felt so that it buts up against the latttt?

I mean at the top of your OSB, assuming you've slid it under the existing roofing felt so that it buts up against the latttt?
Did you miss the bit where I said "replace tiles"? I'm not sure where you think water is going to pool. The OSB buts (butts?) up to the lat(h). The OSB is thinner than the lat(h).

"Lath", yes, probably, it's one of those words that gets pronounced more than written. Like "architrive" ;)

I'm not sure where you think water is going to pool.
In a world where the felt is there for a reason, so presumably the water is running down the roof on top of the felt because of a broken tile further up the roof, then under the final latt, because latts are on top of felt, then in to the OSB. I'd cut that part of the OSB at 45 degrees to give it a chance to get up on top of the EPDM. If you put the OSB on top of the felt then it's irrelevant - depends how resilient you want the roof to be if a tile fails.

Thanks for ll your help, i think I,ve got the detail from freddymercurystwin!
Murdo

Thanks for ll your help, i think I,ve got the detail from freddymercurystwin!
Murdo
Yes, I would, as that's the correct way to do it. It does remove the small risk that garyo identified.

Cheers
Richard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back