Tiles cracking!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I retiled the bathroom about a week ago, and have just noticed 5 tiles have cracked. Is this normal? They were Wickes' cheapest (not chosen by me!) if that explains it. I have not grouted yet, so can replace them relatively easily, but am concerned that the rest will follow suit in due course. Is this likely?

Sponsored Links
Whatever the problem is will not be rectified by replacement with the same tiles. Sounds like your tiles are made from Kendal mink cake.

Sponsored Links
i feel the poor fella is not going to get a good answer on this!

i feel the poor fella is not going to get a good answer on this!

I live in hope...
Oh, that does indeed makes it less easy to answer :cry: .

Got to say it’s a tad unusual even with chepo crap tiles, maybe you have a faulty batch! Some more questions;
Are the walls stud/dry lined or traditional block & plaster?
Where are the tiles that have cracked located; can you post some pics?
What was the condition of the wall like before you tiled?
What prep work did you do before tiling?
Are the tiles ceramic or porcelain?
What adhesive did you use?
How old is the property?

2 walls are plastered, the third I have just tiled over existing tiles, which are stuck to a plasterboard wall.

Tiles have cracked on all 3 walls - no pics, sorry.

Walls which weren't already tiled were in reasonable condition, although tiled previously - they are plastered, I just stripped the old tiles off as best I could and tiled over.

No prep, other than strip old tiles/adhesive etc, making as smooth as possible.

Ceramic tiles
Adhesive called Palace Aqua tile, waterproof for bath/kitchen. Rather alarmingly, after replacing a couple of cracked tiles, I've just noticed that the adhesive isn't really holding - it's still quite soft and mushy. The tiles aren't falling off or anything, but I thought it'd at least be rock hard.

House 20 years old.

What should I do - pull them all off and start again, or hope no more crack and they don't start falling off?

the adhesive should be dry totally after 24 hours even in a coldish room, i cant personally say anyhting about the one which you are using as i have never used it.

tile on tile. .. . tut tut tut!

the adhesive however shouldnt be cracking the tiles, and as you say they are on 2 different surfaces and yet cracking the same i can only say there is a fault in the tiles, they must be cracking under a difference in temp in the room.

maybe someone else can come up with a better idea?

if im right tho its all off and get better tiles, (but getting full refund from wickes)

I can’t personally comment on Aquatile either; it’s not one of the ones we usually get problems with but it shouldn’t still be soft & mushy underneath. It shouldn’t be cracking the tiles either though & it makes me wonder if there will be more to come as it continues to dry out! Are you absolutely certain you didn’t crack the tiles in an attempt to level them as you put them up; the tile surface should be as flat as possible & it’s odd that even the tile on tile has cracked! Where about’s on the wall are the tiles that have cracked, is it random, in the centre? in the corner?

Got to admit it’s a bit of head scratcher & may well be the tiles at fault but if so, Wickes will have had other complaints; you may well end up taking the all off again. Sorry but you've got me on this one :confused:

The tiles are absolute rubbish - there were LOADS of broken ones, which wickes replaced with a weariness that suggested this particular type had caused problems in the past.

There is no pattern to the cracking - they are in random places, on all walls and surfaces etc. I'll give it another couple of days to see if I get any more, then pull them off if there are.

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back