Tiles cracking and bowing but not falling off wall - help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
About two months ago I had my downstairs toilet walls tiled (solid walls, one interior, one exterior, painted and sealed) with ceramic tiles from wickes using wickes flex adhesive/grout. Last week I noticed some marks on the tiles and realised that they had started cracking and bowing away from the wall, although the grouting has remained in place. They are still attached to the wall and it doesn't sound as though the plaster has blown - no hollowness when knocked. I've read other comments on the forum that sound similar but not quite the same. Wickes have requested that I remove one of the tiles and take it in to them so that they can have a look but I am loath to remove any tiles until I have some idea of the problem. Any ideas as to what might be behind my problem - pics attached.

Sponsored Links
About two months ago I had my downstairs toilet walls tiled (solid walls, one interior, one exterior, painted and sealed)
Painted & sealed with what?
Is the problem on both walls or just the external wall?

Initial thoughts are you have something serious going on behind the tiles (possibly damp/water orientated) which is causing the problem, does the grout look/feel damp? Are there signs of dampness (darkness) in the tile cracks?

You may as well remove some of the tiles to see what’s going on, the cracked ones are fecked now anyway as, unfortunately, the rest of it will probably be. I don’t think it’s the cause of your problem but, TBH, it doesn’t look like it’s been particularly well done, in particular the grouting.

Well that's a mystery, never seen that before.

Take a few tiles off and tell us about the wall at the back.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back