Help? New tiles falling off! Adhesive or plaster problem??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, We have just tiled our bathroom with 300x440cm ceramic tiles using wickes waterproof readymixed adhesive on plaster walls which were newly plastered 3 years ago, (long ongoing extension, dont ask???!!) 4 weeks later 3 tiles have fallen off, one of which has made a hole in our new jacuzzi bath, boy do we wish we had used Bal now? We had not used the bathroom since tiling and no water has been on anywhere!
QUestion ... do you experts out there think this is due to the Wickes adhesive or the plaster??
Any suggestions appreciated,
Thanks
Raty.

Sponsored Links
Ouch!

What condition is the plaster in? What tiles came off, above the bath? near shower area?

Any water ingress behind the tiles?

Photo might help.

Did the tile come off the wall leaving the adhesive behind or did the tile & adhesive come off the wall?

If just the tile came off it may be because the adhesive was left on the wall too long causing the surface to dry out, not helped by absorbant plaster and slow inexperianced tiler (no offence meant) common on the cuts which usually get done last.

If it all came off the wall it may have been overpolished or dusty which could be cured by the use of a suitable primer.

Jason

Sponsored Links
HI, thanks for your help, the tiles came off the wall clean, with the adhesive on the back of the tile leaving nothing on the wall, one was a cut which was done separtately, but the adhesive was put on the tile not the wall as it was an awkward place, but the other one was the 2nd tile in a small working area.
What i cant decide is wether to wait and see how many more fall off, or try and take them off and start again, its a big area!!
We used 2 different adhesives from Wickes and dont know which one it was that is the culprit!. They all seem fairly firmly on, but i dont want to find any more holes in the bath!!
Has anyone ever used the repair kit for baths? the chip (is deep, but i dont think right through) is only about 1/4" but it is in the bottom where your bum would be, so the most stress i guess.
ALso do you think i have any come back on WIckes??
Thanks for your help
R

Interesting. Normally the adhesive won't stick to the tiles, not the other way round. Did you apply the adhesive to the tiles or the wall?
I still maintain that you shouldn't have used pre-mixed adhesive on tiles that size. You would have had no problem using a powdered adhesive.

Raty

You need to use a powder adhesive as ready mixed should only be used up to about 3mm.
If you imagine keeping the adhesive in a small pot which is effectively what it's like behind your tiles...it'll never set, hence you should also buy a construction helmet from the same outlet as you'll bloody well need it!!!

Mike Lyons

Raty

You need to use a powder adhesive as ready mixed should only be used up to about 3mm.
If you imagine keeping the adhesive in a small pot which is effectively what it's like behind your tiles...it'll never set, hence you should also buy a construction helmet from the same outlet as you'll bloody well need it!!!

Mike Lyons
Hey Mike, check the last post dates on topics before you post; some of the threads your posting are well past their sell by date.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back