A dummy question: is tile grout same as tile adhersive?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I got some wall tile grout that is left by previous owner. Is it same as wall tile adhesive, or I need to buy these product says wall tile grout and adhesive?

Also I have some normal ceramic tile and some Mosaic Tile, can I use same grout/adhesive?

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
If it just says grout that's all it is. Professionals usually use separate products for adhesive and grouting. There are combined products but they will specify tile and grout.
I have tried both but unless you are fairly good at it a combined product is the simplest to use, often the separate adhesive product will squidge through between the tiles and if not cleaned off fully will show up when grouting.

Hi,

Does Mosaic Tile require special adhesive or normal one will do?

Many Thanks

Normal, but more chance of adhesive coming through gaps I would tend towards the combined product, but I's up to you. :D

Sponsored Links
Separate powdered adhesives and grouts work much better than the combined ready mixed fix-n-grout products.

For mosaics - get the substrate completely flat & for the normal thin mosaics use a 4mm notched trowel so that they bed flat & you don't get too much squeeze through - scrape any squeeze through out before it dries.

Check that your mosaics are the same thickness as your tiles. If they are thinner, you will need to 'build up' the depth at the back of them so everything is flat at the front. ( either with adhesive or a 'stick on' mesh )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back