tiling 12mm wbp, shower walls , tank or not ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys , i have just finished replacing victorian lath + plaster walls with 12mm wbp ply, ready for bathroom refurb . i am fitting a 1400 x 900 walk in shower enclosure with low profile stone resin tray . the corner of the room for the shower area is perfectly true and level and corner joints bedded and sealed with silicone . i am using a waterproof adheshive and waterproof grout so will i need to tank the shower area ? any advice greatly appreciated , cheers ,Ray

Sponsored Links
In my experience ply is the worst surface to tile on. They usually fall off in no time at all.

ignore joe he is just an argumentative pr*ck.

plying it is fine, yes it will need tanking, bal or pci tanking kit are the better ones around and available at all good tile stores, and some sh*t ones...

Thanks jefoss for the informative reply , i figured that joe :cry: was having a bad day , i have tiled on ply many times before with no problems , my question was regarding tanking not tiling . Anyway thanks again jefoss.:cool:

Sponsored Links
No way. I've seen endless cases of ply failing. It's due to the amount of expansion/contraction inherent in ply. Use it at your peril. Plasterboard (green) is far more reliable.

hi guys , i have just finished replacing victorian lath + plaster walls with 12mm wbp ply, ready for bathroom refurb . i am fitting a 1400 x 900 walk in shower enclosure with low profile stone resin tray . the corner of the room for the shower area is perfectly true and level and corner joints bedded and sealed with silicone . i am using a waterproof adheshive and waterproof grout so will i need to tank the shower area ? any advice greatly appreciated , cheers ,Ray

firstly, PLY is ok for what you are going to do, BUT its not everyones cup of tea, to answer your question, YES you do need to tank the area to do the job correctly.
You say waterproof adhesive and grout, so i assume they are epoxy ?

if not epoxy they are NOT completely waterproof, dont be fooled by what the sales assistant tells you

He's right ya know it is over a year old , Thanks for your input though JCT , bathroom over a year old now and i did tank it using the HOMELUX system . Highly recommend it , quick and easy to use and i have used it on a couple of jobs now with no problems at all .
ps Joe , tiles are still in place mate :D

Cheers folks ,XJRAY

i must have been a bit tired yesterday, i seem to have replied to a few old and VERY old posts, Sorry lads.I got my senseible head on today

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back