Tiling a balcony

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a flat in a purpose built block with a balcony off my living room. The floor of the balcony is currently covered with a tarmac and grit surface similar to the sort of covering you would find on a flat roof.

The problem is that at this time of year it is not possible to stop grit and dirty water being walked into my flat, I don't want to put a door mat over my carpet so I was wondering if it is possible to remove the existing covering and replace it with floor tiles or even paving blocks/stones?

Does anyone know if this is possible and if so suggestions as to the best tiles or paving to use?

Thanks Carole

Sponsored Links
You are almost certainly leasehold and your balcony floor is the roof to the balcony below.

Anything you do can affect the people below you.

Speak to the managing agent as you won't be able to lift what is there without his/the freeholders permission.

It is possible but without knowing whats underneath the existing covering cannot say 100%. There are many tiles suitable for outside balconies and the same for adhesives and grouts.

You would also have to take into account any drainage considerations. the balconies I have tiled on new build projects all have to be laid to correct falls usually to a drainage channel, gulley or similar.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back