Tiling a bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there.

Just posted on the wall tiling section but I need further assistance and wondered if anyone had experience on tiling an upstairs bathroom floor.

Renovating the room completely and want the floor to be ceramic/percelain tiles. Do I tile first before I put in the toilet and pedestal/basin in or do they go over the tiles? Also, with the floor being bare floorboards, do I need to put in a base of plywood to reduce movement and cracking and if so, what thickness and does this also go in before the toilet and sink. Of course I would also like to know what are the best tiles for the job.

Hope to hear from someone who has done this and what they did and the pitfalls that I need to be aware of.

Thanks in advance

Richard :?: :confused: :?:

Sponsored Links
Overboard with either 12mm ply screwed to the floor/joists at 200mm cts or overboard with Aquapanel screwed as the ply and stuck with flexible tile adhesive.

Then tile onto the surface using flexible adhesive & flexible grout. then you can fit you basin & loo.

You may find it easier to run the plumbing with the loo/basin packed upto finished floor level and get all your pipework right. Then remove the sanitary ware to tile.

Jason

Hi JasonB,

So just to clarify, the toilet and wash basin/pedestal go OVER the overboard and floor tiles? Just seen some nice stone floor tiles and shaping these would be difficult so if these go in beforehand this would save me some hassle.

Sorry to be stupid but what is CTS?

Sponsored Links
Thats it, the pedestal & pan stand on the finished floor.

CTS = centers = distance between one screw and the next ie put a screw every 200mm in either direction.

Jason

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back