Tiling a corner for shower - 200yr old Welsh, stone cottage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

IMG_9439.jpg

I am looking to install a shower in a bathroom where the previous owners only had a bath.
I was just going to swap out the taps for a mixer with shower hose, paint the wooden paneling with a glossy latex/enamel paint and tile from the border up to the ceiling. I will also box out a small return to attach the glass screen. Ps, I'll put a slight pitch on the shelf too.
My question is about tiling onto the wall. First time I've done a house of this age.
The cottage is 200yrs old, both walls of the corner are external, stone walls with (I assume) a lime based render.
Can I tile straight onto the wall as normal or will a liquid tanking layer stop the stone breathing etc? I was wondering if I needed to make a false wall with an air space to let the air move (I'm just imagining here) to stop damp getting trapped behind the tiles? Are there breathable tanking layers? Is it all about the correct adhesive? Etc etc etc?
Any help will be great.
Cheers, Mike

Sponsored Links
Have you considered a free standing cubicle as I think its impossible to maintain breathability through a normal shower wall. Can you find any past history to see if the outside surface still breathable cos if its not it may give you more options

Couldn't you fix a tiling board over the wall with a gap that would ventilate?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back