Tiling a hearth

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm about to tile my hearth and am looking for some advice. Due to the height of the lintol in my fireplace I am considering tiling straight onto my constructional hearth (which is made up of three flagstones) is this ok to do? I was worried about the possibility of the tiles cracking where the flagstones join? Could this be an issue? Or should I bond/fix a piece of plywood to the constructional hearth to tile onto?

I'm using a good quality thick tile that is suitable for hearths

Any advice would be greatly received

Cheers

Sponsored Links
You dont fix wood on hearths. You should be ok to tile the constructional hearth and the fire opening back hearth - this obviously depends on what, if any, kind of fire or appliance you intend to use?

Sorry should have made it clear that I'm installing a woodburning stove on a stand so there won't be any direct heat to the hearth

Sponsored Links
As long as there is a clear definition between hearth and floor it doesn't matter what height it is

As long as there is a clear definition between hearth and floor it doesn't matter what height it is

That's true, although a change in level is suggested as the way to achieve this, which is why you usually see one. 2.22-2.29 and diagrams 26/27 are your friends.

Cheers
Richard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back