Tiling over old constructional hearth - advice on best approach

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I'm renovating an old Victorian terrace and have opened up an old fireplace. I am not reinstating it to working order, just want it as decorative. There is an old constructional hearth which seems to consist of ash, dirt and a few uneven bricks just sat in amongst this. I want to tile over this for a decorative hearth but have no idea what the best surface to tile onto would be.
I was considering either sitting somesort of backerboard over the whole thing and tiling onto this (though concerned as to how I might attach it to anything to stop it moving in the future)
or pouring some sort of self levelling compound to make a flat surface to tile onto

obviously I've never done anything like this before so open to any suggestions/comments. attached is a picture of the hearth at present. There is quite a dip in the back right corner.
Thanks in advance
20190804_185604073_iOS.jpg

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back