Tiling a slope in a floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
All

I'm looking to tile my kitchen floor and raise it up slightly but I have a couple of questions.

1. The existing tiles are 100mm square quarry tiles. I would rather keep them and tile over as they are absolutely solid (although a little bit uneven). What is the best way to tile directly over? What preparation work will be needed? I'm guessing some prep with sugar soap to degrease but are there specific tile on tile adhesives?

2. The same floor becomes the landing to the cellar steps and I need to slope the floor toward the step otherwise the top step will be too high. How is this normally achieved? My thought was to tile over the existing tiles but remove the tiles under the slope and grade out?

Thanks in advance

Alan

Sponsored Links
as long as the quarry tiles are solid,..but check them for hollow points(give them a tap) if hollow you will hear the noise mate.

if ok
yes clean with sugar soap etc...
most cement based tile adheives will be ok to go over quarry tiles,.. a single part flex or rapidset from bal/weber/mapei go to their websites and have a look thro the technical data mate..also flex grout you will need..

as for priming then a sbr, will ok to apply proir to tile addy
if fixing porcalain tiles make sure the bagged addy states porcabond(most do but check anyway)...

as for the step,depends how you would like a gradient running onto it?
or you could just tile the steps(risers/threads) how many steps is it?..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back