tiling a splashback

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi is it best to lay the tiles straight on the worktop or put spacers underneath the first row between the tile and the worktop to leave a gap for the silicone? cheers in advance

Sponsored Links
leave a space. a 2mm spacer is ideal

Sponsored Links
When I spotted your username, my comment was “tongue in cheek” :LOL: You should never use standard PVA as a tile primer (if the adhesive manufacturer says so, use another adhesive) & if you need a primer, use an acrylic/SBR primer only.

The need for priming very much depends on the wall & how it’s finished, the size/weight of the tiles, what adhesive you’re using & finally the adhesive manufacturer’s recommendations. Nicobond is not a brand I use so no idea of quality but if they say no primer, I’d go along with that. Presumably it’s a tub mix so your tiles should be no larger than around 250mm & no thicker than 8mm, probably unlikely if it's a kitchen splash back.

When I spotted your username, my comment was “tongue in cheek” :LOL: You should never use standard PVA as a tile primer (if the adhesive manufacturer says so, use another adhesive) & if you need a primer, use an acrylic/SBR primer only.

The need for priming very much depends on the wall & how it’s finished, the size/weight of the tiles, what adhesive you’re using & finally the adhesive manufacturer’s recommendations. Nicobond is not a brand I use so no idea of quality but if they say no primer, I’d go along with that. Presumably it’s a tub mix so your tiles should be no larger than around 250mm & no thicker than 8mm, probably unlikely if it's a kitchen splash back.
lol yes i should have spotted the pun, the tiles im using were 420 x 270mm x 10mm large mosiacs tiles of 6 high but ive cut them in half they are now 235 x 420 3 high i done that because i only want 1 strip around the worktop, "minimilist look" i would rather not have any but the kitchen fitter was crap and on one wall i have a gap of around 8 mil between the wall at the top, this is also making me concerned that when i lift the tiles by 2 mil the silicone wont have nothing to stick to thanks for replying

the tiles im using were 420 x 270mm x 10mm large mosiacs tiles of 6 high but ive cut them in half they are now 235 x 420 3 high
Sorry I don’t understand how you’ve cut them in half, should that be 420 x 135? Are these individual large tiles (235 x 420) or is that the size of the mosaic backing sheet & the individual tiles are smaller? Is 10mm the tile thickness?

the tiles im using were 420 x 270mm x 10mm large mosiacs tiles of 6 high but ive cut them in half they are now 235 x 420 3 high
Sorry I don’t understand how you’ve cut them in half, should that be 420 x 135? Are these individual large tiles (235 x 420) or is that the size of the mosaic backing sheet & the individual tiles are smaller? Is 10mm the tile thickness?
hi i cut them in half longways so instead of a total of 30 small tiles 6 high by 5 long i now have 3 high by 5 long sorry looks like i gave wrong figures origonal size was 270 high by 420 long and now they have een cut in half are 135 high by 420 long yes they are 100 thick heres a link to the size of tile http://www.ncdirect.co.uk/index.php?p=pr&id=13107 cheers

yes they are 100 thick
Ya did it again didn’t ya; 100mm thick, obviously not :LOL:

So we’ve got a 420mm wide x 135mm high mosaic sheet but what thickness are they? even 10mm is pretty thick for a mosaic tile sheet; are you sure you’ve got that right, it IS important!

No weight info on the website do you know the sq/m weight?

yes they are 100 thick
Ya did it again didn’t ya; 100mm thick, obviously not :LOL:

So we’ve got a 420mm wide x 135mm high mosaic sheet but what thickness are they? even 10mm is pretty thick for a mosaic tile sheet; are you sure you’ve got that right, it IS important!

No weight info on the website do you know the sq/m weight?
lol yes its 10mm thick im not sure of the weight, i choose the 10mil thickness to cover the gap at the back, also its the same thickness as my stainless steel splashback, i know they are heavy but im only going half of one high, i suppose my main concern is weather i should have the 2 mil gap at the bottom using the spacer because of the gap i have on one of my walls

Tub redimix is not ideal for tiles that heavy but as your only 135mm high & they are mosaics, you should get away with it but the tiles may move around so support them well until the addy sets.

The 2mm is normal for the silicone seal, grout will just crack & fall away. If the gap behind the worktop is constant, I would stick some packing tiles to the wall below the worktop but I suppose you could reduce to 1mm & apply the bead more to the front of the tiles.

Think you’ll regret the SS splash back; they look great in kitchen showrooms but are a pig to keep clean, streak free & looking good in a domestic kitchen. I had mine for just 3 weeks before selling it on at half price; went to tiles instead. I’ve also got a SS range cooker & extractor hood &, for the same reason, I’d never buy SS again; I always advise against it.

so you wouldent just run the tiles along the top of the worktop and run the silicone along to seal? you would def have a gap of 1 mil or or 2 mil? i know what you mean about the ss splashback but surely the grout on the tiles of your splashback do not stay as white as the rest of your grout?

so you wouldent just run the tiles along the top of the worktop and run the silicone along to seal? you would def have a gap of 1 mil or or 2 mil?
I would still leave a small gap or the silicone wont have anything to key into, less likely to split away like that.

surely the grout on the tiles of your splashback do not stay as white as the rest of your grout?
The tiles have been up around 8 years now & the cooker is used for some serious cooking but the white grout (BAL Microflex) isn’t discolored to any degree that you would notice. They are matt black slips tiled brick bond & 2mm spacing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back