Tiling Advice With Uneven Floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have had my floor self levelled twice but it's still not dead level. Between the high and low spots the floor is about 10mm out of level. All other areas of the floor are within around 5mm

How would you go about tiling this? Just start from the high spots and try and taper down to the low spots or build up the adhesive and keep the same height throughout?

gDNleP5.jpg

Sponsored Links
A difference of 10mm shouldn’t show from one wall to the other.

Blup

Personally, i'd start tiling at the highest point with a thin bed of tile adhesive and then keep all the tiles at the same level.

You'll use more adhesive this way, but get a better finish.

Alternatively, can you grind or scabble down the high points?

Sponsored Links
I levelled ours as I went, really you want to be using the powdered mix at home adhesive as it sets quicker and gives a better result if laid thicker than normal.

Not bad to do once you get cracking.

Personally, i'd start tiling at the highest point with a thin bed of tile adhesive and then keep all the tiles at the same level.

You'll use more adhesive this way, but get a better finish.

Alternatively, can you grind or scrabble down the high points?

Thanks, grinding down is a possibility but what would I use for that? I found a manual 20 grit sanding block but I would imagine I would be at it for hours with that! any other way would cause a ton of dust?

Angle grinder with a vacuum attachment. It doesn’t need to be perfectly smooth, just level or lower than the surrounding area.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back