Tiling advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I am about to embark on my first attempt at tiling. I have been enjoying the process of refitting the bathroom, and decided to give it a go despite originally budgeting for a tiler. Might be a stupid idea but worst case scenario is it all comes back off and I get a pro in.

There are 3 complete walls to do, however the area in question is around the bath as there is a plywood stud wall to hide the shower pipes etc. I am now aware that this was potentially not the optimum way of doing it, however I am going to proceed regardless as its finished.

I intend to tank the plywood with "Mapei Mapegum WPS", and then tile over the top.

My questions are:

1. Is there any issue using Mapei Mapegum on Plywood. I have read up and indications are it is fine, but some reinforcement of this would be appreciated.

2. I have been well and truly put off my original plan of using a tile/grout combo, so am now researching what tile adhesive is best. Does anyone have a specific recommendations for tiling on top of the Mapegum? The rest of the walls are bonding coat plaster so I am happy to use pretty much any adhesive on them, its just the Mapegum that concerns me. Note that i am hoping to use a ready mixed bucket so that i can do bits at a time. I don't fancy having to mix stuff up every time I want to put a few tiles on the wall.

3. Does anyone have any experience using Genesis bath seals? I was looking for an under tile seal that you can get a corner piece for. If not, does anyone have any recommendations? I don't fancy mitre sawing the corner as it just creates opportunity for leaks!

Any other advice much appreciated.

Cheers

DallyPro

Sponsored Links
Ask Mapei about suitability etc.

Only use bagged cementitious powder adhesives - most any will do.

Never use bath seals.

Hi Vinn

Thanks for the reply.

If i don't use a bath seal, how can i fill in the gap and make it watertight? It would need to be a huge bead of silicon as the wall is not straight so in some areas the gap in huge.

Sponsored Links
Why not post photos of what is existing?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back