Tiling and sink fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Simple question here (So I hope doesn't cause too many arguments :p).

I'm re-building my toilet. This includes fitting a wall mounted sink. While I *think* its better to fit the sink to the wall, then tile around it. Can anyone confirm this?

Or am I wrong, and is it better to tile then fit the sink?

Cheers,
Sam.

Sponsored Links
Hi Sam, i'm into property renovation and have found it better to fully tile my walls before I fitted my sinks. It looks neater and is easier to tile without the sink in place. Provided you use a good quality drill bit to drill the tile after tiling (A bit of sticky tape helps stop drill bit slipping on the tile) you will have no problems. having fitted the sink it's a simple task to seal around the sink.
Hope this helps. Frank

Hi Sam, Forgot to mention. Make sure there are no voids behind tiles where sink is to be fitted (Plenty of tiling adhesive) and allow to dry out before fitting sink. This will ensure tiles stay flat and no cracked tiles.
regards, Frank

Sponsored Links
Oh, thanks for the advice. Shall be nice to have a tiled room with pipes fitting out of the walls :p

Does the same go for the toilet? I'll be putting the tiles onto 22mm ply for the floor.

Cool. Wow I love this site :)

Another question then... what would happen if I used plywood on the walls as opposed to plasterboard. I would imagine it as a much more solid base (12mm ply or so).

Also, when wall tiles meet floor tiles, what are the options for 'skirting board' was thinking about 50mm or 75mm of the floor tile going up the wall before starting on the wall tiles. Don't really like the idea of timber of any sort in a bathroom. In addition, what options are open where the wall tiles meet the door frame?

Cheers,
Sam.

fubar - always tiles first on floor and wall. Use pipe collars (chrome or white) where the pipes emerge from the tiles; also available are collars for wastes. Plan where the sink is going to be hung and ensure the sub-wall below the tiles will support it (studding) - consider introducing additional structure. Use the correct fischer WC fixing kit and basin fixing kit when putting in the bog & basin.

I'm going to be removing and replacing some stud work to allow for a recessed shelf and sink fixings. Will be tiling floor before walls. Just figure that if you can tile onto a plywood floor, whats the harm in tiling onto plywood walls :p

Sam.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back