Tiling around a shower head outlet valve - what to do?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Got an potential problem with how to tile a wall where there is a shower outlet point for connecting a hand held shower attachment. If you see the photos, the problem is evident. The tiles are 10mm depth (so 12mm allowing for adhesive), but it seems clear to me that this will obscure the thread for attaching the shower connector. Plus, the slotted screw which will need to be turned, in order to enable the flow to the shower attachment.

Not sure of the best way to approach this one, grateful for any advice.

Attachments

• 20230405_200023.jpg
    20230405_200023.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 60
  • 20230405_195950.jpg
    20230405_195950.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 65
Sponsored Links
That's an isolating valve, not a shower attachment. How much can you remove without making a complete mess to attach a suitable fitting should be the question.

Thanks. I've not tiled in this situation before, but I am assuming that the face of the tile should be BEHIND the isolation screw. In which case that would either mean taking it back to brick to get the depth required, or extending the valve outwards somehow?

You could leave that valve fully open and isolate the shower somewhere else earlier along the pipe.
Sfk

Sponsored Links
for connecting a hand held shower attachment.
I'd have expected that to be more like the cold feed to an electric shower, something that is turned once in a blue moon, not daily to take a shower..

Tell us more about the arrangement of this bathroom; is this now a redundant supply? Is there going to be an electric shower go in?

It is part of a back to brick renovation, so all the pipework is new. The shower control is a recessed thermostatic mixer valve (Grohe) which will feed a main shower head (to be dropped from ceiling), but has a diverter position to send flow to that valve in the wall. All the shower pipework is boxed into the studwork on the adjacent wall, which is now tiled over. In the photo below you can see that valve just to the left.

1681292668799.png

My guess is that it was put on for testing purposes and not removed. Can you get the fitting off? What you need is either a 1/2 BSP, male or female, or 15mm copper, at the correct depth, depending on which wall outlet you are using.

Oof, a shower wand hose will screw onto it so I suppose it could be the intent that it's just the outlet for the wand. It's a bit gash but might look better with a chrome surround, like what you might use to hide a rad pipe cut out in a floor

If it truly is intended to be the thing onto which the wand is screwed, then you'd need to set the screw to open and leave it that way; the diverter tap in the shower mixer block will determine if water flows to the wand, not this

I'd have expected whatever wand is intended to come with a fitting that's a bit more decorative than that iso though; if there truly isn't one then maybe at least turn the valve so the screw is at the bottom and less visible

Standard shower hose won’t fit that it too large , needs replacement the grohe shower should have come with required outlet, often sticks out thru tile with a plate to tidy it and a (grub screwed )outer connection.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back