tiling around bath

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have fitted bath to wall and have noticed slight gapo between walland bath can i fill it with silicone then sit tiles on that . someone said you can by an l shaped plastic to fit on wall and bath, what is this please help

Sponsored Links
when you say " slight gap" how much of a gap do you actually mean?

if its only a couple of mm then yes use silicon.

the plastic you mention is fitted behind the tile and on top of the bath, although i have seen it put in place with silicon, that is against the wall and on top of edge of bath, these can be bought at any big D.I.Y store likes of B&Q

Use the homelux plastic strips they rest on bath and go under tiles,you can also get joining pieces for the mitred corners,they are glued underneath with superglue, come in packs, two corner pieces plus glue. very good way to seal bath.

Sponsored Links
i have fitted bath to wall and have noticed slight gapo between walland bath can i fill it with silicone then sit tiles on that . someone said you can by an l shaped plastic to fit on wall and bath, what is this please help

why not just use some powdered adhesive and level the wall out so your bath sits square on, also makes the tiling work easier and a lot neater than having the trim behind

why not just use some powdered adhesive and level the wall out so your bath sits square on, also makes the tiling work easier and a lot neater than having the trim behind

The only problem with what you say is if there is any movement in floor, hair line cracks will apear and leak,I agree with what you say about neatness and easier tiling because using this trim can be tricky.

foamit";p="1706730 said:
jctilingservices";p="1705752 said:
The only problem with what you say is if there is any movement in floor, hair line cracks will apear and leak,I agree with what you say about neatness and easier tiling because using this trim can be tricky.

Hairline cracks will appear where? i dont understand where you are coming from.
the correct way to do the job is to true the wall up, then tile, fill bath with water, silicone around the bath, let the silicone cure then remove water from bath, so where will these cracks come from even if there is any floor movement, you really have m,e at a loss here

Sorry jakeyseven I was not very clear,their is always a bit of movement on wooden floors,especially in an old house,the bath will always move fractionaly up and down,even silicone on its own, over years,wont stop water getting down around the bath edge against the wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back