Tiling around door facings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am getting a tiler in to tile my bathroom. All the fixing and fittings are of, the door facings are of as well.

Now my question is this, Do I put the new facings on before the tiles or after? The tiles are 60x30, so after the adhesive is on the tiles will sit proud or flush with the facings. I say put the facings on after the tiles my other half says do it before we tile.

all help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Hi C/day
I think your other half is right.It is always better to put the facings on first,and then tile up to the edge of the facing.Quite often nowadays though with skirtings and facings,they are manufactured in a decorative shape,so they are thicker at the bottom than at the top,and thinner than the tile,and it spoils the look of the job.
Some people pack the skirting-board out the thickness of a tile plus the adhesive,and also turn the door facings around so the thick edge is against the tile.Other people have routed the back of the facing if they have fixed the tiles first,but this wouldn't work on a thin decorative edged facing.
Better to get all the hammering over before you fix tiles.

Regards:Roughcaster.

Went to B&Q to get the door facings when I saw some skirting that would do a better job. The facings are rounded on both edges which would mean that the tile would butt up to a rounded edge but the skirting is only rounded at one edge giving me a square edge to butt the tile. Also the shirting is slightly thicker.

thanks for the help.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back