Tiling around toilet cistern

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just had my bathroom re-arranged and replastered by a builder.I'm now about to tile but have noticed that there is hardly any gap between the toilet cistern and the wall.I have a close coupled toilet.Is there much play in these toilets so i could move the cistern away from the wall the thickness of a tile + adhesive.Or do i have to move the whole toilet and how easy would this be.

Sponsored Links
Usually enough play to tile behind, you need to allow about 6-9 mm for most wall tiles or if using floor tiles on the wall allow 8-11mm plus about 4mm for adhesive. These are rough.

Or take the loo out and put the cold water feed on a flexible hose, tile the wall and re-fit the loo again.

Do you mean take the whole loo out or just the cistern.Also not sure how these loos fit together but had a quick look.The cistern is bolted to the pan by 2 wingnuts but seems hardly any adjustment on them.
Looks like i will have to take the whole lot out is this easy.Not sure will be able to screw the pan to the flor again as it will be moved such a small about about 15mm-20mm

Sponsored Links
It's difficult to answer without seeing it. Yes cistern is held to pan by 2 wingnuts. The neatest and easiest way is to take the pan and cistern out, tile the wall and floor and put it back in again.

Most times the waste on the pan is on a connector that would allow you to have the cistern 15 mm away from the wall and not alter things too much, the cold feed into the cistern should alllow a tiny bit of give if it comes out the floor, failing that use a flexible hose to connect to the cistern and then you will have enough give/play.

With a 7mm wall tile and a 4mm bed of adhesive you are only talking 11mm, the thickness of a pencil? That will not transpire to much altering of pipe angles at all.

Try slackening the screws that hold the cistern to the wall and moving it, you may be worrying about nothing.

As far as screwing the pan to the floor - good silicone will stick sh*t to a blanket, if the cistern is screwed up tight and the pan is siliconed to the floor it won't move.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back