Tiling Bathroom Floor - Replacing Chipboard Flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the process of redoing my bathroom.

I will be tiling the floor and am just trying to understand my options.

On pulling up and removing the carpet a number of the original chipboard floorboards are water

damaged and will need replacing.

I will need to pull up a number of the other floorboards in order to reroute the waste pipes and

water pipes anyway.

I am thinking that with this being the case should I not bother replacing the chipboard

floorboards and just remove the lot and replace with a thicker plywood floor in the whole

bathroom. And if so what thickness of plywood should I use?

I appreciate any advice anyone can recommend?

Thanks in advance,

Daz

Sponsored Links
Daz - the chipboard's got to come up and be replaced with exterior grade ply (WBP) at least 18mm thick (thicker if you can - 22 or 25 depending on levels, etc). Whilst you're there consider beefing-up the floor structure if necessary to minimise movement - the deadly enemy of floor tiles - by inserting noggins between the joists. Position these nogs below any joins in the ply sheets to stop them flexing at the edges; also position other edges of the ply directly above the joists and only use screws to fix NEVER nails.

Hey thanks for the advice.

Where's the best place to buy 25mm plywood from? B&Q and Wickes don't seem to stock it this thick. At least they don't on their websites.

Thanks,

Daz

Hey thanks for the advice.

Where's the best place to buy 25mm plywood from? B&Q and Wickes don't seem to stock it this thick. At least they don't on their websites.

Thanks,

Daz

my local bee and queue stocks it, try walking through the real door instead of the virtual one

Sponsored Links
Daz - you will get it at your local timber merchant who will deliver. Try to use the biggest sheet size you can (8' x 4') and try to get it down as a single piece. By doing this you will minimise the number of edges/joins - remember my warning about joins moving and causing the tiles to crack.

IMO you should get your timber from you local yard not one of the DIY sheds (the yards tend to stock much better quality and prices often better than sheds). Of course the attraction of the sheds is you can walk around and handle the tackle; often folks are put-off going to yards/trade counters 'cos they may feel intimidated/unwelcome ... you will be welcomed and get good/better advice/service.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back