Tiling batten spacing..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello again

When setting out tiling battens on a roof is there a method/formulae for working out there spacings?

Will be using Double Roman 50 interlocking concrete tiles.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
double romans max out at 345mm gauge.

we normally fix the first lathe and temporarily fix a top lathe and divide the space remaining by the max gauge.

if it means closing down the gauge slightly then so be it.

be careful though, you cannot close the gauge down too much if you are using dry verge as they wont work on less than about 110mm headlap.

75mm headlap is the minimum.

some roofers close down the last few courses but i think this looks naff.

if a canopy roof is running into a full pitch (as when a canopy roof extends over a single story garage) then you gauge the canopy, and then gauge the full garage roof.

When you speak about Gauge, are you referring to how much off the tile the eye can see?

The gauge is the distance between each of the battens. And he is dead right, dont sqeeze up your last couple of course as it looks pants.

Sponsored Links
measured from top of batten (lathe) to top of batten measure the first batten from fascia run a tape down from ridge to top of first batten and divide up.. you should try and get all gauges to same or it'll look like a **** had done it.. (some times you might need to vary it slightly to suit an existing velux or dormer etc..

Cheers lads I get the general drift of what you are saying.

Cheers lads I get the general drift of what you are saying.
The gauge for tiles is length of tile minus lap which is 4 inchs the last few courses would have to be adjusted to avoid a short course at the top. The formulae for double lapped slates is as follows,(length of slate minus 4 inches divided by two) for example a 24 inch slate minus 4 inches leaves 20 inches divided by two leaves 10 inches this would be the gauge for your battens, 4 inches is the minimum lap.

Not strictly true Headlap is dependant on roof pitch on Interlocking tiles can be 75mm (3 inche) lower pitch increase lap, and adjusting only last few courses is shoddy practice.
Slate gauge should be all the same and no real need to adjust gauge to suit rafter length. again 75 mm depending on pitch.

Double lap tiles such as plain tiles 65mm is ok

Fibre cement slates, 600mmx300mm have their nail holes pre drilled at 250mm by the manufacturer so i presume they recommend a 100mm lap also any old natural slate roofs we have stripped the battens have all been set to give a 4 inch lap.

you an get slates holed at what ever headlap you require.. A natural slate say 24x12 was fitted at 10.5 inch gauge (3 inche head lap) Lap increasd depening on pith or location.
Plain tiles (conc as example) 100mm gauge = 67mm headlap

why is there a need for these?
am i right in that the battens are the ones that go vertically,and the counterbattens go on top horizontally?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back