Tiling directly on UFH cable on Marmox

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I intend to lay slate tiles on undefloor heating (cable) on top of 20mm Marmox backing board. Can I use a thick layer adhesive to attach the tiles directly onto the UFH cable ?
Or should I use a self leveling compound on top of the cable first ?

Suggestions for the best products to use will be helpful.

Regards.

Sponsored Links
The adhesive goes directly on the cables and it would need to be a powdered flexi adhesive due to the changing of tempreture,if you put self leveling over the cables before laying the tiles then it will reduce the heat into the tiles and the compound may also crack.

it will reduce the heat into the tiles and the compound may also crack
Not if you buy a suitable product and only just bury the cable. I did this and my floor is lovely and warm and when you tile you won't have the problem of pushing the tile into the adhesive and then having it sitting directly on the cable.

PP

when you tile you won't have the problem of pushing the tile into the adhesive and then having it sitting directly on the cable.
If the floor has been leveled proir to putting down the heating this wouldnt be a problem,also if you are using a large u notched trowel like you should be then you wouldnt push the tiles down so far that it rests on the core wire.The manufacturers instructions states that to receive the full benefits of the ufh you tile directly onto it. ;)

Sponsored Links
The floor will be perfectly flat since it will be covered in Marmox. I want to keep the floor level as low as possible so I would prefer to use adhesive directly on top of the cable to save a few mm's.
Can anyone suggest specific products ?

Bal 1 part rapid set flexi is the most recommended on this site for this type of job,I have used granfix and found it to be pretty good too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back