tiling in a bath. should I fit a new tap to be safe.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I'm just about to start tiling my bathroom and the wife wants the bath panel tilling. I'm concerned if anything goes wrong with the tap then this would then be a nightmare to fix. Currently we have quarter turn taps which I guess are about 10 years old. Is it with replacing now while I can still easily access them?

Also, if so any recommendation's for a good reliable brand (we have mains pressure hot water and very good water pressure if that makes a difference).

Thanks in advance

Darren.

Sponsored Links
Its probably worth going for a make like Grohe, just for the spares availablity if nothing else.
A tip or two maybe would to make sure the tap is very tight on the underneath (easily swung round if people heave on it) and the water connections are completely sound.....so keep an eye on things for a few days before sealing things up!
Look for the same on the drain and overflow, naturally.
John :)

Try to install some kind of access panel in the board under tiles on bath panel. Avoid one large panel, use 2 or 3 sections so you can access the taps and waste without having to remove the entire panel and all tiles. Make sure you save some tiles in case you break some removing these access panels.

It's quite likely that you will need to get access to the underside of taps and the waste in the future. Getting good quality taps is a good idea. As well as Grohe already suggested, Franke are another quality manufacturer with good spares and service backup.

And leave a few spares tiles under the bath so that when you break a few getting to the taps/waste/overflow in a few years time, there are already replacement tiles to hand (saves ferretting about trying to remember where that "safe place" you left them is!

Sponsored Links
Like whitespirit66 says, make your front panel with at least a service removable panel. "Grout" the joint between the tiles and the access panel with silicon, you can't see any difference.

Top advice. Thanks guys. Ordered a grohe tap from their eBay clearance store this morning. Good idea with the panel as and storing the tiles as well.

Thanks very much.

Darren.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back