Tiling in a brick-style pattern

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am currently having my bathroom refitted and am worried about how the tilers have begun tiling the walls. I'm having a brick-style pattern done with large (40cm wide) tiles.
I thought they should have begun tiling in the middle of the main focus wall i.e. the window wall. However, they begun tiling in the middle of the left-hand side wall and have just started tiling from the middle of the window wall which joins it. (the guy seems to think he should start from the middle of EVERY wall - is that right?). This means that when these 2 walls meet in the corner, they meet with 2 small 3cm wide offcuts of tiles - which is looking silly.
Would it be better for them to flow around the bathroom i.e. if they finish with an offcut of 3cm in the corner of one wall, they should begin with the remainder of that tile (37cm) for the adjacent wall?
Does it matter that the tiles on the window wall will not be started from the middle? As it's a brick-style pattern i thought this would not be as important.
Help!!

Sponsored Links
Have a word with your tiler because it is your bathroom and you can have any pattern design idea for your taste. I always ask the clients how do they want the off-cut tiles to looks like because you are paying for it ! The tiler may have a reason for it so have a word with them.

I can see where your tiler is coming from as to balance each wall you need to start in the middle of each wall. I can also see the point masona has made as its up to you really. I have it in my bathroom and i personally prefer the former pattern, but your wall, you pay the money, you gotta look at it!

Thermo

Sponsored Links
what he is doing is strictly correct you should try for even cuts in each corner. The main reason for this is that if your walls in the corners are not plumb and square and you run your tiles from one side to the other at the bottom and the wall you are tiling to is not plumb and sloping away as you tile up your first wall you will get an ever increasing tiny gap as you tile up the wall, So you should always set out leaving cuts at the edges so you can increase or decrease the cuts as necessary.
I have tried doing what you suggested myself in the past but its a right pain as you have to set out the whole room first and take into account the trueness of the walls

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back