Tiling in doorway edge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
With a very irregular shaped en-suite and chipboard floor panels that extend under all the stud walls, it is unrealistic to replace the floor with ply.
What is the minimum thickness of ply I could overboard with and what would be the best way of dealing with the resulting lip in the door entry?
(I reckon I would be producing about a 20-25mm lip, which seems excessive for a cover strip.)

Sponsored Links
Technically 15mm is the BS. However the movement of the floor is the big deal. You could use 50mm board but if you could surf on your floor it will still crack. If there is no movement and you are just trying to get a better surface to tile to use either a 9mm ply with an adhesive that specs that thickness (Weber SPF rapid does for example) or use Ditra matting with an S2 adhesive underneath.

...if there isn't any movement you could also just tile on top straight away with a S2 adhesive but i do mean NO movement.

When laying tile around a doorway you need to remove the door casing on both sides of the door.The door casing is the trim that goes around the frame.To keep from tearing your wall paper or paint use a box knife to cut the caulking. Most trim, but not all, is caulked to the wall.After you have cut through the caulking, use a flat bar to pry with and a hammer to lightly tap on the pry bar to remove the trim. You will also need to remove the baseboards on each side of the door. These are located at the floor. Use your box knife to cut any caulking and repeat the removal process with your hammer and flat bar. Take out the nails and set the baseboards aside for reinstalling.If you are laying tile around a doorway that has carpeting, the carpet will have to be removed. It is entirely up to you how large an area you want to tile. The average single family home will have 2 to 4 rows of tile, and be approximately 40 inches wide.

Sponsored Links
It’s not difficult to raise a chipboard floor using the right tools, just a PITA & that’s what I always prefer to do. For overboading 15mm is the BS recommended minimum as stated but it’s widely accepted that 12mm is sufficient for most floors if correctly laid; personally I would not advise using less than 12mm.

The threshold is always going to be a problem with overboading & is another reason why I prefer to replace. You can get hardwood door bars either off the shelf or custom made or you can make your own from a suitable strip of suitable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back