Bathroom tiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I'm hoping to have a bathroom re-done, but budget a bit tight.

I want to have the floor tiled. However, found that the additional cost for providing tiles, adhesive & labour is a significant part of the cost (~£1k)

My question is - is it possible to floor tile a bathroom after the toilet, shower, bath and sink are in?
The builder will do the floor with 12mm WBP ply.

Is it possible for him to fit the suite in some way so it can be tiled after?
e.g. (plywood) spacers under toilet & sink, cut to be smaller that the footprint so that a tile edge can be fitted under. But not sure about bath side panel (unless a gap is planned equal to tile thickness + adhesive). And poss shower tray. :confused:

I have tiled a couple of times before, so feel able to do it, but just figure I can't ask him to stop mid-job before the suite goes in. Was wondering if tiling post-fitting is viable.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Sponsored Links
It will be easier if you get oversized 12mm boards under the fittings, with a strip of 12mm under the bath panel, forcing him to set the bath higher (using its adjustable legs), which you will be able to remove at the time of tiling by:

1/. Removing the pan (it's only held on by a few screws and the cistern should(by law) have an isolator tap to enable it to be disconnected from the water supply) completely.

2/. Removing the bath panel, then the strip of timber under it

3/. Propping up the sink and/or removing it to get the pedestal out, then the timber beneath it

4/. Shower tray - let him set this at normal floor level, since tiling up to the edge of it will hide any mortar he may use to bed it, plus create a slightly smaller step into it.

Then tile the floor (I've allowed 12mm for this) which will involve simple square cuts. It really is very difficult to cut neat curves, and the problem with having smaller footprints as you suggest is that the pottery you have standing on them may not be fully supported, which, as they're ceramic, could potentially lead to breakages. Apart from this, the floor would have "weak" spot with regard to water ingress.

Refitting is the reverse of removal.

Thanks Dextrous - reassures me that it would be possible.

The only bit I am unsure about is the toilet. When I come to get the wood out from under the pan, I assume you temporarily remove the pan completely whilst laying the tiles ? i.e. disconnect from the soil pipe and cistern on top.

Are the fittings ok to disconnect & reconnect (no solvent welds for example) ?

Not a plumbing expert I'm afraid, so not had a go at connecting/disconnecting toilets before. But with a bit of guidance am sure could work it out. ;)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back