advice on tiling bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi
i plan to tile all walls in my bathroom and inside a shower quadrant, also plan to tile the floor aswell. im looking for advice on the following

1. What to use to board out the floor ie backerboard or wbp ply

2. What adhesive and grout to use on the floor

3. I plan to tank inside the quadrant and around the bath so what adhesive and grout is best to use for the wall tiles

4. Some general advice about a starting point for tiling the walls

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
From a competent diy'er point of view i find that working out how to lay out your tiles is very important to get a professional finish.

Say, for example, your wall is 10 and a half tiles wide. It looks much better with 9 tiles fixed centrally on the wall, then a three quarter tile cut at each end. Your eyes don't pick up the larger cuts so much. The same with the height, it might look better with a three quarter cut at the bottom and a half cut at the top etc.

Also work out any obstacles you need to cut tiles around, like windows etc, and try to make a balance of large cuts there too. The same for radiator pipes etc, try to get them at the end of a tile so you can cut "only" a slot. If you need to put a small ugly cut somewhere try to make it behind the door where you enter the room, and keep the "panoramic view" when you enter the room as clean as poss.

If you need to put a small ugly cut somewhere try to make it behind the door where you enter the room, and keep the "panoramic view" when you enter the room as clean as poss.
Remember that the point of view of anyone sitting on the toilet matters, it is one place that people will sit and stare, so the tiles opposite the wc need to look good.

any advice on what types of adhesive and grout to use?

Sponsored Links
Any advice on what type of adhesive and grout to use on floor and walls?

any advice on what types of adhesive and grout to use?
Try a search on here for adhesive and then one for grout, you will find loads of good advice but you can't expect to get it all over again, it is all there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back