Tiling my shower onto water resist PB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All
Been doing a lot of reading, but seeing lots of conflicting views.

Have redone my downstairs cloak room to include a corner shower. The walls the shower sits against are stud walls, so I have removed the existing plaster, insulated and replaced with green waterresist PB.
I am planning to tile directly to the plasterboard with big tiles 300*300 or 300*600. The shower is not a power shower, but runs off mains pressure througha combi boiler.

Do I need to tank the walls before tiling?
I have already installed the shower tray.

Thanks
Huw

Sponsored Links
I have removed the existing plaster, insulated and replaced with green waterresist PB.
A decent waterproof tile backer board would have been better.
Do I need to tank the walls before tiling?
Yes, if you want it to last.
Tiles that size need cement powder adhesive not tub mix, PB has a max weight limit, how heavy are your tiles?

with Richard on this mate, and defo check the weight of your tiles, then add approx weight of addy and grout into the equation.
If memory serves me correctly you are allowed UPTO 32M2, and in my opinion, that is pushing it

Bugger!
Off to find out about tanking tomorrow then. Can i get the stuff from any trade tiling place?

I don't understand the ref to weight then you quote 32m2. Each wall is only 2.6m high and only 1.6-1.8m wide - small room.

Thanks
Huw

Sponsored Links
Think he means 32kg per square metre?

Although a bit of a pest, it may be worthwhile replacing the plasterboard in the wet area with aquapanel. Will cost a bit more now you've spent money on the current boards, but there's not a huge deal of difference between doing this and the cost of tanking chemicals.

I'll tank now.
Way too much hassel to pull out what is there and replace.
Thanks for the weight info.
Cheers
Huw

Homelux. £35 for 5m2 at Topps, use the same single part for adhering it to the walls as you use for the main tiling, cut a section of the matting for your internal corner(s)

plasterboard unskimmed will take 32kg per m2
plasterboard skimmed will take 20kg per m2
your addy/grout will come in about 2-4kg per m2 so take this into account to...bagged addy.

thats 12.5mm plasterboard.

dont forget to prime walls first.

Thanks guys.
Got the homelux stuff - 50 quid for 5msq, but way quicker option.
Wall tiles are light so no real issues there.
Thanks
Huw

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back