tiling on a ply bath platform

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi,can anyone give me some advice.i have a large floor standing bath and it was put on a marine ply platform to enable access to the underneath if we needed to fix a leak etc.
trouble is im not sure if i can tile the platform with travetine tiles or if they would crack etc.
the platform is sturdy and is approx 2.5m x 2m
have looked at waterproof laminates but think they look awful for the price!
thanks for reading :confused:

Sponsored Links
If there is any perceivable flex in the platform, the tiles will fail so impossible to say without a lot more information & some pics might help.

How is the platform frame constructed? What thickness is the ply? What supports the weight of the bath, just the platform? Are there supports directly beneath the bath feet back onto the floor joists? Will tiles be laid under the bath feet & if so what sort/size feet are they? Is it possible to stand/walk on the platform?

i think its 18mm marine ply on a platform supported by 4x2 timber on top of the floor.the bath has no feet ,it looks like a boat!i cant see any flex and yes we are able to stand on it.it was constructed to take the weight of the bath filled, :rolleyes:

sorry richard,i forgot to say that i would tile around the bath base not completely under as it is already plumbed and in use.sorry this is late
,night nurse on break!
natalie

Sponsored Links
Should be OK as long as there is no flex but cutting the tiles to fit neatly around the bath & look good isn’t going to be easy but it’s not how I would do it.

Depending on the quality, Travertine can prove difficult & is not the ideal choice for DIY; you can get filled or unfilled depending on how much you pay. They will need sealing before laying to avoid staining (but at least some come pre-sealed), you will need to use white addy & even then you could have problems if you’re careless; unfilled travy will be a nightmare on a floor unless you fill it. Travy is also quite soft so you have to be careful with grouting (no sand) & how you treat them if you have them on the floor. Travertine should also be re-sealed after laying if you want to avoid staining.

TBH if you have limited experience & as it’s a bath area, you might do better to chose a ceramic “look alike” as it will be much less hassle & far easier for you to lay & maintain.

Use a quality trade flexible powder adhesive not cheap DIY crap, cheapo own brand & DIY stuff is mostly crap.

back butter the tiles also before fixing and also serate the floor with correct size notch serator.

I knew what you meant but not sure the OP would have!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back