Floor advise, tile over backer or WBP?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have just built an extension on my bathroom. It is to house a large bath sunk into the floor.

I am constructing a WBP 22mm floor, around the edge of the bath. (approx 600mm all around the edge. The rest of the bathroom is old style floor planks/boards. Again 3/4". The whole are will be tiled, and the existing bathroom, 12sqm is larger than the new part, (only about 3sqm of tiles around the edge of the bath)
Electric UFH will be installed.

Option 1.
Sit ply level with current boards, use a backer board across the whole floor.

Option 2.
Sit ply level with tops of current boards and reboard the whole bathroom with marine ply. The problem is then the step to the landing area.

Option 3.
Something else. I.e. Take up existing floor and replace with ply.

I have also got to install an 1800mm x 1000mm shower tray. This is the flush type that should be bedded on ply/cement. I could either. Remove the boards underneath and replace with ply, or if doing the whole room Just go on the top.

Sponsored Links
if your original floor is 3/4" ( 19mm) why are you gonna use 22mm ply, you already have a step then, if it were me I would either, replace the entire floor with 25mm wpb, OR on your new section I would lay 19mm wpb then overboard with hardie backerboard 6mm, don't forget you will need the reinforcing scrim tape and also enough hardie screws.

Another thing,you are having UFH, which type and also were you thinking of using thermal boards ???

Hello,

Sorry yes, 18m wbp ply. Obviously i'll make the floor as level as possible. I was going to use these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tile-Back...arden_Hearing_Cooling_Air&hash=item45fb8fac93

Cable UFH. Then either tile or flexible latex (was going to ask advise) to cover the cables then tile as normal.

I recently did a small downstairs toilet using this method, I decided to use flexi adhesive to cover the cables but it wasn't the easiest to work with. I managed as it was a small area.

if your original floor is 3/4" ( 19mm) why are you gonna use 22mm ply, you already have a step then, if it were me I would either, replace the entire floor with 25mm wpb, OR on your new section I would lay 19mm wpb then overboard with hardie backerboard 6mm, don't forget you will need the reinforcing scrim tape and also enough hardie screws.

Another thing,you are having UFH, which type and also were you thinking of using thermal boards ???

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
board your floor, overboard with your insulating backer boards, lay your ufh, then tile over using flexible adhesive, be easier for you if you use a plastic spreader, save you cutting into the ufh, also do regular checks to make sure the cables are still ok, you are tiling onto an original wooden substrate, so you must use FLEXI adhesive mate and also flexible grout

Sponsored Links
board your floor, overboard with your insulating backer boards, lay your ufh, then tile over using flexible adhesive, be easier for you if you use a plastic spreader, save you cutting into the ufh, also do regular checks to make sure the cables are still ok, you are tiling onto an original wooden substrate, so you must use FLEXI adhesive mate and also flexible grout

I will be using natural stone tiles as well.

So do I need a flexible rapid set adhesive? I used "Keraquick" from Mapei downstairs, it said it is flexible, but was advertised more as a rapid set than a flexi adhesive, would this be ok? The grout was flexible as well.

Whats your view on leveling the floor over the wires before tiling? Is it worth it? I found it fairly difficult to spread the adhesive with the wires. Its much easier to trowel it on without.

if its light stone you need a white adhesive (flexible).

IMO UFH on a wooden floor is a waste of time and cash! (and i sell it)

if its light stone you need a white adhesive (flexible).

IMO UFH on a wooden floor is a waste of time and cash! (and i sell it)

Hello,

Thanks for your input, what is the reason behind it?

The floor at the moment is cold. The floor downstairs is warm. Thats my only reason.

Is UFH less effective than it would be over concrete? Or do you mean the tiles aren't as cold?

Thanks for your honest advice either way. :)

Here is the floor, (still need to smash up the old tiles!) But at least the bath is in now.

20130331_234552_zps959c1012.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back