Tiling on bathroom painted walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys. One that's probably been asked before but just want to confirm.

I have a painted bathroom. its in good condition.
Most of the wall is tiled and great condition. I want to finish the wall.

so after Googleing how to Tile. I found that a number of sources said check your paint by applying duct tape to the painted wall. leave it for a while and rip it off.

I did this and barely any paint came off.

I also tried to scrape some off by scoring it. but it's almost impossible.

so am I good to go?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Go for it mate......the wall is stable enough.
Use a professional grade adhesive though and you'll see the difference.
John :)

whoops. I not started yet but I went to wickes bought the materials.

I ended up buying their ready mix adhesive which doubles as grout.bad decision?

You'd be safest to remove any paint and it would also be better to use cement based bagged adhesive and separate cement based bagged grout.

However, it depends what tiles you're using. If they are 6" ceramics and the area doesn't get wet then you'll probably be okay.

Sponsored Links
Obviously each to their own, but I use ready mixed adhesives by BAL and a grout that I mix up from powder.
I dont go for the adhesive/grout mixtures that are available.
John :)

hi. Thanks for the responses.
Yup I am using 6" plain white ceramic tiles.
also the area is above the end of the bathtub. The bottom 4 rows are already tiled. I just want to go up just incase the area gets wet.

John any particular reason why not ready mix all in one?

Don't attempt to use the all in one mix.

I've always used BAL products as everyone always recommends them and i've never had any problems. Pricey, but definitely worth it.

I bought some ready mixed stuff to do my utility room to tart it up. It was fine as adhesive but by the time you use it as grout it dries out too quickly and gives you air bubbles and cracks.

I'm no expert, but I learnt the hard way. :)

Hi Guys.
Just a quick update.
So because I had bought the all in one already, didn't have the receipt and someone had opened the tub I ended up using it :s

But for next time I know better.

Anyways so I made a few mistakes.
1. I thought the tiles where standard white, apparently they where a brilliant white which looks slight blue. So they don't exactly match, by the time I realised the adhesive was on the wall.

2. The tiler previously didn't look like he had used spacers, I did so the tiles where a bit out.

3. Oh my god using the all in one as grout is so hard (not like I know what normal grout is like). I just found it really thick, and didn't look like the consistency of the videos on you tube.

Anyways lessons learnt.. but here is the finished DIYNot job!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back