Tiling on chipboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I tiled the floor in my downstairs bathroom which was a concrete base and it looks fantastic so I would really like to floor tile the upstairs bathroom.

The problem I have is that there is a chipboard floor (which still creaks after me putting about 50 extra screws in to try and stop the creak) so if I use the WPB to board over the chipboard and then with the floor tile + adhesive thickness there will be a floor height difference from the hall to the bathroom of around 30 mm

The obvious thing to do would be to cut all the chipboard flooring out and replace it with WPB board, but this would be quite alot of work to do.

Has anyone had this situation? Is there an alternative option?

Thanks

SP

Sponsored Links
if you leave the chipboard in and then board over with 12mm then tile onto (another 14mm give or take) you will have your head touching the ceiling when you are on the loo, plus youll need stairs to get into your bathroom!

sorry but best way is to take the chip out.

hi
you can tile onto chip board bal do a adhesive with a add mix works very well but about 70 pounds, or if floor solid enough apart from the creeking wich is caused by joints not getting glude when fitted, common on new bilds, you can srew 4 mm ply cut to 4 by 2 stagger joints and screw every 6 inch or wrong nails 20mm every 6 inch then a good flexi adhesive and flexi grout and you will be ok,

Do it properly, take the chipboard up; you know it makes sense!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back