Tiling on painted walls and row plasterboard.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

I was wondering if anyone can help me. I am about to tile the bathroom walls floor to ceiling. The walls are plasterboarded and have been painted with a bathroom grade paint.

Also I have cut out and re-boarded part of the wall so some areas are just plasterboard. This is where the concealed shower mixer is going above the bath

My Questions are:

Can I put waterproof tile adhesive straight onto the walls or do I need to prime it.

I have done a test with duct tape to ensure the paint isn't going to flake off and it appears to be ok.

Can anyone suggest anything or tell me it is ok just to tile straight onto the wall.

Thanks

Ant

Sponsored Links
Give the painted areas a rub down with sandpaper to key the surface. Around the shower I'd tank the walls. You won't need to prime the painted areas, but for the bare plasterboard you should see if your adhesive manufacturer recommends using a primer and if so use that. If the bare plasterboard is around the shower you should seriously consider tanking it.

Sponsored Links
Cheers Gcol.

I will do just that. A fair bit of money but i suppose it needs to be done.

Cheers

Ant

Hi.

reference this waterproofing. I have never seen it done on new builds where there has been a shower installed and looking at the shoddy work people have done in our barratt house I wouldn't be suprised if they haven't done it in the shower cubical.

I am using waterproof adhesive throughout the bathroom so will this along with primer potect the plasterboard enough?

Cheers

Ant

No they won't do it on new builds cause it takes time and costs money. If you're unsure, tanking is more of an issue with smaller tiles.
The waterproof adhesive that you mention refers only to the fact that it will not degrade when wet and not that it will repel water (the same goes for the grout too). The primer isn't a water proof barrier either - that's just to ensure a good bond between adhesive and wall.
The final choice is down to you, but total piece of mind will cost £60.

can I just add ...as well as shower area ,
I would do/tank around bath if its a pasterboard wall ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back