Tiling on ply floor (frame formed house)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Firstly like to say hi...great forum you got here.
Was wondering if you can give me some advice.About 6 months ago I moved into a new frame formed house.I would like to tile the downstairs hallway.The problem is that the floor is plywood, t&g'd. no screws at all.The floor itself is very springy.If I am correct, new building regs mean that you cannot srew new floors down in new builds (just what I have heard).
Seeing as removing the floor is not an option and the joists seem to be few and far between, how can i go about successfully tiling the floor?

Regards,
Ray

Sponsored Links
RayJ said:
The problem is that the floor is plywood, t&g'd. no screws at all.
Can you take a photo of this?
The floor itself is very springy.
Sounds like no herringbone structure or not enough noggins. How much is it springy?

Sure,here are a couple including the downstairs cloakroom.I was just looking through a few previous photos I had taken and looking closely it seems as though the very top floor was screwed.Its a 3 storey townhouse type building.

As for the springiness, in some places it can be as much as between 5-10mm.

anymore info required let me know.

Thanks

Can't quite see the woodgrain, they looks like T&G OBS flooring or shuttering plywood(?). Do you know if they are floor insulated panels, did you see how it was put down?

Is it not possible to take the flooring up and add more noggins & joists then use plywood?

floor_jont.jpg

Sponsored Links
I never saw it put down, I presume they are insulated panels and they are about 8'x2' , whereas the upstairs are 8'x4'.
I really do not want to take them up as I havent gone through the 12 months defects with the builders yet.

Regards

im guessing it a floating floor. bit like laminate. just these are laid on top of large blocks of polystyrene. joints are glued together hence no screws! the bounce is down two things- either not enough exspansion or dip in concrete base under floor. you have to be very carful laying on these floors. Dont put ceramics down as to much movement. Also any thing bonded to floor also needs exspansion. Im only guessing here on what floor it is as i cant see it so what i just said could be rubbish. you could drill hole somewhere to see what underneath.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back