Tiling on top of old adhesive

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm going to tile a previously-tiled wall with limestone tiles. I've rubbed all the high spots down. Do I need to pva the wall before retiling? If so, what ratio/consistency do I need?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi Rimrogs
sometimes an area becomes porous when you strip off the material, ei: wallpaper, tiles ect, but as you intend to re-tile over an area that was once tiled and some adhesive is still left on there may be some areas that are more porous than others, so the best method is use the "pva" (unibond ect) as a glue instead of a very wet consistency as in for porous surfaces, if you add roughly 1 part pva to 3 parts water this should surfice but let it dry completely before re-tiling
Ihope that this helps and good luck
Dale

Hiya Dale
Thanks for your reply. As it turns out I despaired of anyone answering my posting and went ahead with pva in around the same consistency you suggested. Ahhhh - all's well that ends well ;)

Sponsored Links
Rimrogs

could I add NEVER just assume to use PVA /Unibond ...

if tiling over tiles you must make sure the substrate is clean/sugar soaped an I lightly sand ...
THEN whatever your tile adhesive says for that powdered brand do as instructed

tiles WILL fail with PVA if the adhesive brand doesnt recommend it .... FACT !!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back